Carol Sadler
Special Education Consultant/Advocate
1105 Rock Pointe Look
Woodstock, GA 30188

I am a lay Parent Advocate assisting parents of children with disabilities in school IDEA, 504 and SST meetings. I am a former CHADD and LDA Coordinator, graduate of the 1st GA Advocacy Office PLSP legal training course and most importantly parent of two children with various disabilities.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Advocates Advice - Protection from Truancy Charges

·         Advocates Advice


I often attend school meetings for parents who are turned in for Truancy because their children with medical and/or emotional disabilities cannot attend school.


·         If your child has a disability that affects school attendance, this needs to be documented in the IEP or 504 plan for Truancy protection. Get a medical letter from your child's Pediatrician and/or Psychiatrist stating the diagnosis and reasons why school attendance will be impacted.


For example - It should be noted in the medical section of your child's IEP or 504 if you have a child with Asthma who gets frequent upper respitory infections and will have numerous absences. You should also list how and when school work will be made up.  This is particularly important in High School as some school districts do not allow over 6 missed school days per semester.


Additionally, it should be noted in the medical section of your child's IEP or 504 if you have a child with Bipolar or Anxiety and they can become unstable and can't attend school. These students may also need to be qualified for Intermittent Hospital/Homebound (HHB) services as well. This way you do not have to wait 10 days for HHB to kick in for each occurrence. It should be listed in the IEP or 504 exactly how and when HHB will be implemented. Again, this documentation will also protect a parent and student from Truancy charges.


Implementation of Hospital/Homebound services varies from state to state.  In GA, if a student has an IEP, implementation requires an IEP meeting.  So get your medical information together and request a meeting to discuss.  You can ask your school or county school district for the necessary medical forms.


There certainly can be other medical and emotional reasons that affect school attendance.  Do not let the school tell you NO, they can’t document........insist. You can also document under the Accommodation section how your child will be provided missed school work.  If last school year or currently this is an issue, also add under the PLOP (Present Level of Performance) section. Get this information documented in multiple sections of the IEP or 504.


For severe illness, your child may also require a Health Plan, which should be outlined in the IEP as well.


Advocacy & Consulting Services - IEPadvocate4you
Carol Sadler, Special Education Consultant/Advocate
GA Advocacy Office PLSP I Graduate
1105 Rock Pointe Look
Woodstock, GA 30188

IEPadvocate4you also now on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter


"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people." ---- Thomas Jefferson

“Refrain from Restraining, Secluding and Corporal Punishment” ---- Carol Sadler, Advocate

GNET=GetNoEducation/Therapy=PsychoNOed=Jail without jury or trial=Imprisonment without legal representation


Information contained in this communication is confidential and privileged. It is not meant to represent legal or medical advice, but rather advice given based on my knowledge as a trained Parent Advocate by the GA Advocacy Office, Council of Parent Advocates & Attorneys, CHADD, LDA, the GA DOE Parent Mentor program as an invited guest and the special education attorneys that I often work with on educational matters. Please do not forward without my permission.