Federal Education Officials looking into GA GNET programs
1. Please read this from Leslie Lipson with the Georgia Advocacy Office. Direct all questions to Leslie. Thanks!
In response to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s complaint the, Federal Education Officials are looking into the GNETs programs. They have asked the GAO for help.
Specifically, they are seeking to talk with parents, families, or students who have had experiences in the GNETS (Georgia Network for Educational and Therapeutic Support) programs during onsite visits. As you probably know, the GNETs are a public-funded, segregated statewide system of “schools” for students with Autism or Emotional Behavioral Disorders. There are about 5000 students in these placements.
They are visiting six GNETs located in the North and far South of our great state. They want to interview families by phone BEFORE the visit that has had a student either attend one of these placements or narrowly escaped one of these placements :
1. Alpine Program (Banks, Dawson, Franklin, Forsyth, Habersham, Hall, Hart, Lumpkin, Rabun, Stephens, Towns, Union, and White Counties; Gainesville City)
2. NORTHSTAR Program (Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens, and Whitfield Counties; Dalton City)
3. NORTHWEST Program (Bartow, Catoosa, Chattooga, Dade, Floyd, Gordon, Haralson, Paulding, Polk, and Walker Counties; Bremen, Calhoun, Cartersville, Chickamauga, Rome and Trion Cities)
4. Burrell Program (Carroll, Coweta, Heard, Meriwether, and Troup Counties; Carrollton City)
5. Heartland Program (Bleckley, Dodge, Laurens, Montgomery, Pulaski, Telfair, Treutlen, Wheeler, and Wilcox Counties; Dublin City)
6. Woodall Program (Chattahoochee, Clay, Harris, Muscogee, Quitman, Randolph, Stewart and Talbot Counties)
The interviews will be completed starting the week of January 21st. Additionally, they will be “visiting” the 3 programs in the South during February.
Please see this State of Georgia Audit for a scathing report: http://bit.ly/icXe65
If you have any questions or I can help you in any way do not hesitate to contact me.
Leslie K. Lipson
The Georgia Advocacy Office
One Decatur Town Center
150 E. Ponce de Leon Ave., Suite 430
Decatur, GA 30030
(404) 885- 1234 or 1 (800) 537- 2329 (voice or TDD)
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GAPLSP
Advocacy & Consulting Services - IEPadvocate4you
Carol Sadler, Special Education Consultant/Advocate
GA Advocacy Office PLSP I Graduate
1105 Rock Pointe Look
Woodstock, GA 30188
IEPadvocate4you also now on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people." ---- Thomas Jefferson
“Refrain from Restraining, Secluding and Corporal Punishment & Aversives are Abusive and Dehumanizing” ---- Carol Sadler, Advocate
GNET=GetNoEducation/Therapy=PsychoNOed=Jail without Jury or Trial=Imprisonment without Legal Representation
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED
Information contained in this communication is confidential and privileged. It is not meant to represent legal or medical advice, but rather advice given based on my knowledge as a trained Parent Advocate by the GA Advocacy Office, Council of Parent Advocates & Attorneys, CHADD, LDA, the GA DOE Parent Mentor program as an invited guest and the special education attorneys that I often work with on educational matters. Please do not forward without my permission.