IEPadvocate4you

Carol Sadler
Special Education Consultant/Advocate
770-442-8357
1105 Rock Pointe Look
Woodstock, GA 30188
CarolSadler@bellsouth.net
www.IEPadvocate4you.com

I am a lay Parent Advocate assisting parents of children with disabilities in school IDEA, 504 and SST meetings. I am a former CHADD and LDA Coordinator, graduate of the 1st GA Advocacy Office PLSP legal training course and most importantly parent of two children with various disabilities.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

An AD/HD Mother's Resolutions

An AD/HD Mother's Resolutions
by: Carol Sadler © 2004
An AD/HD Mom with two AD/HD (plus) Daughters
& Special Education Consultant/Advocate
(Permission to reprint giving proper credit)
(Printer-friendly version - requires Adobe Reader)

I always like to share my resolutions at the beginning of every year. I know many parents of children with various disabilities who can relate (and sympathize) with me, and those professionals who serve them.

One of the most important things I have learned along the way with my own children is that parents of children with disabilities need lots of stress relievers. Humor is one of the ways our family has learned to deal and cope with our challenges (it's a survival thing). Remember, it's ok to laugh with us, just not at us (there's a difference)!


1. I will not have a nervous breakdown after finding the purple nail polish poured all over the bathroom counter top, I will just take a picture and consider it "ART".

2. I will remain calm in my daughter's IEP when the teachers report to me that my child is manipulative and a liar, I will simply ask them "So, what's your point?". (This seems to be a standard complaint from schools regarding children with AD/HD, duhhhhh)

3. When my kids get older I will explain to them the meaning of "Piles" and teach them the technique of extracting the exact piece of paper you were looking for.

4. I will refrain from killing my sister-in-law for giving my children finger paint and a trumpet for their birthdays, I will simply "lose" them while they sleep.

5. When I lock my keys (with the car running) and my children (strapped in their carseats) in the car, I will explain to the 911 operator that it is not a joke, and I will finally remember to go straight to the hardware store and get a second set of keys.

6. I will never get in the car for a 10 hour road trip to the beach without first giving my husband two Valiums and my children their medication. Always remember, it is not "Vacation", it is merely "RELOCATION"!

7. I will be more empathetic & try harder not to laugh when my child's teacher calls from school and asks "Did you give your daughter her medication this morning? I don't recognize this child!" I will not take the opportunity to point out to this teacher that the child she is seeing is the one I see in the afternoon when she sends home two hours of homework. I will merely try harder to remember to set out my entire family's medication first thing in the morning, so I do not forget or re-dose.

8. When my daughters are grown, I will teach them the 10 minute shuffle before dad arrives from work, which consists of: sweeping/vacuuming/mopping the floors; picking up the toys, homework, hammer & nails; washing the paint off the cat; un-tying the dog from the trampoline; retrieving the bicycles from the front of the subdivision; and having a well balanced dinner (from Kentucky Fried Chicken) on the table when he walks through the door.

9. When the 4th Pharmacist in a row at midnight tells me that he is out of my children's Adderall, I will refrain from jumping over the counter and beating him to a pulp! (Reminder, never wait until the last minute to refill your kid's medication!!)

10. When I'm tired of my relatives telling me "There is nothing wrong with your children, they are just being kids", I will refrain from leaving them for a month (without their Ritalin!).

11. I will develop an ability to have a conversation with an adult that doesn't revolve around GA Children's Network, CHADD, LDA, IEP's, accommodations, Psychiatrist's, Psychologist's, emergency room visits, developing my children's social skills, or the differences between Ritalin/Concerta and stimulants/Strattera. (OK, well maybe not!)

12. I will always protect the rights of my children, especially their right to IDEA, Section 504, ADA and to be contributing members of society regardless of their disability! I will focus on their "Abilities", not their "Disabilities". I will continue to teach teachers that "FAIR" does not mean EQUAL" and tell them to "Occasionally challenge, but DON'T consistently frustrate"!

Carol Sadler © 2004
www.IEPadvocate4You.com
CarolSadler@bellsouth.net

This article has been published in CHADD's "ATTENTION!" magazine, many local CHADD group newsletters, and several on-line AD/HD newsletters including AD/HD Storm Watch & ADDConsults.
http://www.addconsults.com/creative/display.php?id=25&board=creative_story
http://www.adhdstormwatch.com/newsletters/2004Jan.html
http://www.nwchadd.org/NLJAN2003.pdf